Welcome to Reo Visa and Immigration

Talk to experts

+91 90 2333 2333

Apply Now

If you’re an Indian citizen and want to work or study in the UK, you must first apply for a UK visa.

The Home Office uses a five-tier points-based system as the standard entry route for workers and students. Each tier is divided into various categories for different types of Work or Study Visa applications. Tier 1 is for high-value migrants, Tier 2 for skilled workers (IT, financial etc),  Tier 4 for students

For more information on the different points-based assessments and category-specific requirements under Tiers 1, 2, and 4 see  Tier 1 VisasTier 2 Work Visas, and Tier 4 Student Visas. Tier 5 is not applicable for Indian citizens and Tier 3 is currently suspended.


Can I apply for a Tier 1 Visa?

Under Tier 1, Entrepreneurs and Investors, Highly Skilled and Exceptionally Talented Workers can apply to enter or remain in the UK without needing a job offer but must pass a points-based assessment. Tier 1 of the points-based system currently contains four categories:

Do I need a Tier 2 Visa?

Under Tier 2, skilled workers can apply to enter or remain in the UK with a job offer in the UK from a licensed sponsor, a valid certificate of sponsorship and by passing the points-based assessment. Points system applies for four skilled worker categories:

  • General Skilled Workers
  • Sportspeople
  • Ministers of Religion; and
  • Intra Company Transfer Staff (ICT).

What is a Tier 3 Visa?

Tier 3 of the points-based system is currently suspended preventing the employment of low-skilled workers from outside the EEA (European Economic Area).

Can I apply for a Tier 4 Visa?

Under Tier 4, students can apply to enter the UK as a child student between four and 17 years old, as an adult student over 18 or, alternatively, as a child or student visitor. There are four categories of Student Visa:

What is a Tier 2 Dependent Visa?

Those entering the country to work will be entitled to bring their spouse and/or children on a Tier 2 Dependent Visa. The fees and maintenance requirements for the Tier 2 application will change with each dependent.

Spouses in the country on a Tier 2 Dependent Visa have the same rights to work as the Tier 2 applicant. However, they will not need to show that they have a job offer before making their application.

How long does a Tier 2 (General) Visa last?

Typically, this visa lasts for three years. However, you can apply for a Tier 2 Visa for up to five years if the company has agreed to sponsor you for that long. Applicants can apply for a Tier 2 extension once it is set to expire but only as long as their stay totals a maximum of six years.

To renew your visa, you will need to be working for the same company as in the original application. You will be able to renew your visa if your job title/description has changed as long as the Home Office was informed of these changes when they were made.

Can I apply for ILR (Permanent residence) from a Tier 2 Visa UK?

Once you have been in the UK for five years, so long as you meet the other requirements and are still working for the same company as when you arrived, you will be able to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

Do I need to be sponsored to apply for a Tier 2 Visa?

One of the main requirements of this visa is that your employer is a licensed sponsor of Tier 2 workers. You will need to show this in your visa application and provide proof through your Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS).

The CoS is not a physical document but a reference number that must be included in your application.

Should your company have its Sponsor Licence revoked while you are an employee there, you will need to find a new sponsor and reapply for your visa.

Can I switch employers on a Tier 2 Visa?

If you are already in the UK on a Tier 2 Work Visa and would like to change jobs, you will need to make a fresh Tier 2 Visa application. Your new employer will also have to be a registered sponsor who is able to provide you with a new Certificate of Sponsorship.

Because of the time limits surrounding the Tier 2 application, it is recommended that you find another job before leaving your old one. This will allow the most time for your application to be processed.

Find out more about the Tier 2 Change of Employment process.

What are the different types of Tier 2 Visa UK?

There are four subcategories for different types of professionals.

These include:

  • Tier 2 (General) – this is for most non-EEA migrants
  • Tier 2 (Sportsperson) – this is for sporting professionals
  • Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) – this route is for religious officials coming to work in the UK
  • Tier 2 Intra-company Transfer – this allows non-EEA migrants to work for their company’s UK branch for a limited time

What is the UK Shortage Occupation List?

There is a yearly limit to how many Tier 2 (General) Visas the government is able to grant. This is currently 20,700, separated into a monthly allowance. There are some occupations which are exempt from this cap and are recognised as in shortage by the government. They can be found on the Shortage Occupation List.

Applying for jobs on this list means applicants enjoy cheaper visa fees. They are also less likely to have their visa refused if they meet all the was.

What services does Reo Visa offer?

Whether you are an applicant or an employer, Reo Visa has a wealth of experience in securing Tier 2 Visas. Our India, UK-wide offices are staffed by a highly-skilled team of experienced immigration lawyers who are fully equipped to advise you on your UK immigration options.

With two offices in Bangalore and London, we are also one of the most respected immigration companies. Our corporate immigration lawyers are highly equipped to help you get your Work Permit for London.

Our services include:

confirming that all documents are adequate before submitting the application;
preparing a detailed Letter of Representation;
managing contact with the Home Office during the application process;
facilitating the assignment of the Certificate of Sponsorship;
ensuring the Resident Labour Market Test is undertaken correctly; and
completing the application form to a highly professional standard before submitting it.

Contact us now on +91 90 2333 2333 or chat with us to receive expert advice on your options from one of our immigration lawyers

For more information on the different visa options for working in the UK, please chat with us.

How to Apply


Talk to our expert advisors who possess wide range of knowledge on UK visa and immigration and available 24/365.


Our immigration experts will run a free assessment and advise you options and eligibility to apply a UK work visa


We will advise, support and prepare your UK work permit applications on your behalf.

Not sure which visa to apply?

Chat with our expert advisers 24/7 who will help you choose the visa that most suitable for your situation.

Free Immigration Assessment

Find out your options for visa by completing a free online assessment.

Reo Visa team has explained me how point based system works and did a quick free evaluation and gave breakdown of my points which gave me confidence to proceed with my application.

Harshita D

( UK Work Visa )

Reo Visa and Immigration gave me comprehensive report showing my points which I scored for my skills and qualifications. They also gave me an advice how I can claim points for my English language without having IELTS..

Ashish S

( UK Work Visa )