Welcome to Reo Visa and Immigration

Canada understands how important family is, and for this reason offers the chance to reunite family in other countries to come join you in your new life in Canada. Once you have become a Canadian Citizen or a permanent resident and if you are 18+ years old, you are entitled to sponsor your spouse/common-law partner and dependent children and also give them the chance to become permanent residents.

You are then responsible for supporting your family financially, and they will enjoy the benefits of residency – being able to live, study and work in Canada.

Canadian citizens or permanent residents can sponsor the following family members:

  • Spouse, Common-law partner, Conjugal partner
  • Dependent children
  • Parents
  • Brothers and sisters
  • Grandparents
  • Grandchildren
  • Other relatives (i.e., an orphaned niece or nephew)

Each category has its own set of requirements that the sponsor needs to comply with for the family sponsorship visa application to be properly reviewed by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).

As a sponsor for the Canadian family sponsorship visa, you are the principal applicant who promises to take care of your family member’s welfare. This also includes his or her economic well-being. If for any reason the family member has to receive government financial assistance, you will be responsible for paying back the money to the Canadian government.


Spousal Sponsership

In Canadian family sponsorship visas, it is important to demonstrate that the spousal partner is immigrating to Canada because of you and not just because of his or her desire to live and work in the country. Therefore, you will need to prove that your relationship with your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner is genuine. Proof of a genuine relationship with your spousal partner can be demonstrated via a marriage certificate and/or the following documentation:

  • Frequent communication, such as letters, emails and phone calls
  • Photos of you and your partner together
  • Joint agreements, such as a lease agreement and/or bank accounts

Dependent Children

Besides the eligibility of spousal relationships for a Canadian family sponsorship visa, you may also sponsor any dependent children under the age of 22 (even those from a previous marriage or relationship). However, children under the age of 22 who are in a spousal relationship cannot be sponsored.

You will need to provide proof of your relationship to your dependent children. In addition, the children being sponsored will need to undergo a criminal and medical examination. Dependent children who have a criminal record may be prevented from entering Canada. All medical examinations must go through a physician approved by the Canadian government. If a child has a contagious medical condition, it may be grounds for no-admittance to Canada.

Sponsoring Parents & Grandparents

Canadian permanent residents and citizens are allowed to sponsor their parents and grandparents. According to Citizenship and Immigration Canada, over 38,000 applications are received each year for sponsorship of these family members, creating a major backlog and long wait times. In fact, over 165,000 family sponsor visa applications for grandparents and parents are still pending.

The Canadian government has recently taken action to cut the backlog and reduce the wait times by increasing the number of visas for these family members to 25,000. In addition, the government has introduced the Parent and Grandparent Super Visa, which will be valid for up to 10 years. This multiple-entry visa will allow an applicant to remain in Canada for up to 24 months at a time without the need for renewal of their status. The creation of this visa allows for sponsored parents and grandparents to come into Canada within eight weeks instead of years.

Of course, you must prove the relationship to your parents and/or grandparents to the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). In terms of sponsoring a parent, you will need to provide your birth certificate. If sponsoring your grandparents, you must not only show your birth certificate, but also the birth certificates of your parents.

Sponsoring Other Relatives

Canadian family-sponsorship visas include the ability to sponsor orphaned relatives, such as a niece, nephew, grandchild, brother, and sister. However, the sponsored orphaned relative must be under the age of 18 and not married or involved in a common-law relationship. Also, written consent must be obtained from any legal guardian before the child can leave their home country and the ability to provide for the economic well-being of the orphaned child must also be demonstrated.

How to Apply


Talk to our expert advisors who possess wide range of knowledge on Canada visa and immigration and available 24/365.


Our immigration experts will run a free assessment and advise you options and eligibility to apply a Canada work visa


We will advise, support and prepare your Canada work permit applications on your behalf.

Need more information?

Chat with our expert advisers 24/7 who will help you understand more about this visa.

Canada Immigration Assessment

Find out your options for visa by completing a free online assessment.

The really challenging is when you applying for a visit visa to Canada, you have to provide a lot of information and you can find mixed and confusing information on the internet which is difficult to rely upon.

These guys are amazing. They explained everything in details along with additional documents that made my application successful 🙂

Rohit Nayyer

( Canada Work Visa )